Frequently Asked Questions

What is Clinical Psychology?

Clinical psychology is a branch of psychology that aims to diagnose and treat mental health, emotional and behavioural problems. The aim of  psychological therapy is to reduce the distress and improve the psychological well-being of clients. Clinical Psychologist are considered experts in the field of human emotion and behaviour.

What kind of problems can Psychological therapy help with?

Clinical Psychologist can help with a wide range of mental health and emotional problems including: Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Depression/Low mood, Stress, Anxiety, Health-related distress, Phobias, Panic attacks, Social anxiety, Major life changes, Eating problems, Relationship Difficulties, Bereavement, Anger, Sleep problems.

Can I see a Clinical Psychologist even if I do not feel I have a mental health problem?

Yes. Psychological therapy is very helpful in improving your awareness of your thoughts, feelings and behaviours and developing effective coping strategies. With a greater understanding of yourself, you may be able to lead a more fulfilled and happy life.

What will the sessions be like?

Clinical Psychologists are highly trained in listening and reflecting and aim to provide a safe and secure environment for you to talk about your difficulties. Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy offers structure and a collaborative approach to exploring difficulties and making positive change.

How long will I have to wait for an appointment?

An initial assessment appointment is usually offered within two weeks.

How many session can I have?

Following your initial assessment, I will be able to give you an idea as to how many session are likely to be needed based on the difficulties identified, the evidence-base and recommended treatment guidelines. However, it may be that more or less sessions are required. You are free to attend as many sessions as you choose to and are free to end the sessions at any time.

When are appointments available?

Appointments are currently available in the evenings and at weekends.

How can I check the qualifications of the Psychologist?

Clinical Psychologists are registered with the Health and Care Professions Council. You are able to search by name for a Psychologist to confirm their registration on the HCPC website.